Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Shelley Paintings

Hi,

I started a new painting Sunday night. I mentioned last week, a friend at work (Shelley) wants me to do 2 paintings for her. I’m very excited to do both, of course, but I’m really looking forward to painting the smaller one. She wants one large painting (50" X 48") for over her couch and one smaller painting (24" X 48") for her fireplace.

When I first started painting, one of the first real paintings I did, was a cool swirl pattern. I added a couple of pics to show the paintings, I'm talking about. I'm not sure where this swirl thing came from, but it must be from my childhood. The first two swirl paintings I did, I sold on EBay. It’s been a couple of years since I painted a swirl painting, so that’s why I’m really looking forward to doing this painting first. Shelly wants a gold background with a bunch of different color swirls. We’ll talk about the 2nd painting later. After priming the painting, I sat down and did a few drawings, just trying to get a feel for what the painting will look like. I finally decided to go with one of my drawings. I added some pics to show the progress, so far.  







The pics below is Shelleys new painting, well, the start of it.








Seeya,
Clint

Hello,

Ok, I got a lot of work done in the last 2 days, but I don’t think you’ll notice from the pictures.

A couple things…First, I remembered one thing about this type of painting; you have to do what I call, the round and round. What I mean by that is, you fix one thing and that mess’s up the other thing, then you fix that, and you mess up the other parts. So, you have to go round and round until you narrow all the problems down.

Second, the painting was way too slick, smooth or whatever you want to call it. And, it didn’t have much warmth to it, so I added a bunch of thick paint to the swirls, and I started adding some shading to the area’s between the swirls. Basically, I’m kind of messing it all up, but in a good way. I also added a ton of gold paint between the swirls to create some texture.

Third, I did something really stupid at the beginning, instead of drawing the whole swirl; I just did a one line swirl then went back and drew in the rest of the swirls, bad idea. Sad thing is, I know not to do that, but I forgot since I haven’t done one of these in few years. What happens is, you have to block all that stuff out that you don’t like with paint, that’s why I had to paint the yellow swirl, green, then white, and then yellow again, just to get rid of the black lines I didn’t want. I kept thinking if I just add enough yellow, I wouldn’t be able to see the black lines I didn’t want, WRONG. I also added a few different colors to the lower swirls to give it a better look.

More on the shading between the swirls, it doesn't look that good at this point, but after I go back over the shaded areas with the gold paint, it will look better.

One last thing, this type of painting always looks bad until the very end. After I get the swirls shapes, the shading between the swirls and all the different colors just right, then I'll clean everything up with some black out lines around the swirls.

I hoping I get the whole painting part done by Sunday afternoon, so I can frame it Sunday night. Hopefully, the whole painting will be done by Wednesday, so I can start working on the larger painting. 

The pics I'm posting were taking with my cell so there not that great.



Hello,

I got a lot done over the weekend on Shelley's small paintimg. The painting is all framed now, so I'll have to do is get the swirls looking right and I can start on the next painting. Here's a few pics to show the progress. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish it tonight, but I'm not sure.





Hello everybody,

I hope everybody had a great weekend.

Sorry, I didn’t update much last week. But, I got a lot of work done on Shelley’s small, swirl painting.

 I was talking about putting some black, shading in between the swirls last week, but for some reason it just didn’t work on this painting. The shading actually made the painting look a little dirty. I went back over the shaded areas with some gold paint and cleaned it up. What’s weird is, I always do a little shading on my swirl paintings, it adds depth and warmth, but it just didn’t work on this one. I forgot how much work one of these swirl paintings can be, I did the old around and around so many times, it about drove me crazy. One of the things people have gotten use to, is, seeing designs that are generated from the computer. You know, exactly perfect looking lines and thing is just perfect, I hate that crap. No feel, no warmth, no mistakes, that’s not art, that’s just some perfect looking crap created by a computer. One of the things I really like about this painting is how all the different colors work with the gold paint. The yellow, green and red colors work so well with the gold paint. You’ll notice I created a bunch of texture with the gold paint. This brings up another point; I don’t like my paintings to be too smooth. When you see one of my paintings, you know it’s a painting and not some copy of a picture. Basically, I break every rule there is when it comes to painting. I’ve never been to art school, but I’m sure they would tell me stuff like…you’re over painting, you could make it look smoother by applying paint this way or that way, get out of here with that crap. I want to know its painting; I want to see some mistakes, texture and thick paint. I want to feel the painting, I like to put my hands on it and feel all the paint on the canvas. Here’s some pics showing the finished painting.







Ok, on to the next painting. This next one should be fun, will see lol.   

No comments:

Post a Comment